Scant 1/2 cup cashew nuts
3-4 tbsp of Kolkata Chai DIY Chai Kit
Scant 1/2 cup almonds
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
9 ounces filo pastry (you will need 10 sheets)
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted, plus extra for greasing
1/2 pint water
Fresh ginger (to taste)
1. Syrup: Put all syrup ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 min, stirring occasionally. Leave to cool for 10min then strain the syrup.
2. Nutty Filling: Ground 100mg almonds and 100 mg cashews with 1/2 teaspoon of ground cardamom in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
3. Place one sheet of filo in the prepared baking tin and brush over with with melted butter.
4. Repeat 2 more times to create 3 layers of film pastry sheets with melted butter and then sprinkle some of the 1/3 of the nut mixture.
5. Repeat the process in #3, 2-3 more times using 2-3 sheets of filo each time. Finish off with a single layer of filo pastry on top.
6. Roll up the stack and brush the outside with melted butter.
7. Slice into discs approximately 1/2 -1 inch wide.
8. Bake at 350 for 30 mins in a 16in x 12in, shallow baking pan.
9. While warm, pour syrup over the baklava and let cool overnight.