A dessert by Vasanti Balan
Masala Chai Loaf Cake
1 loaf cake
For the masala chai:
1 cup water
3 teaspoons of Signature Masala Chai Mix
½ inch piece of ginger, grated (optional)
1 cup milk
For the cake batter:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ cup unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
¾ cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup of prepared Masala Chai, at room temperature
For the ginger glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tbsp milk + 1 tsp if needed
¼-½ tsp ground ginger
To make the loaf cake:
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175 °C). Grease loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray and place a piece of parchment paper at the bottom.
2. Brew the chai with a milk of your choice.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt, then set aside.
4. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, for about 5 minutes. Add the eggs and beat until well combined. Pour in the masala chai and mix well for one minute. Don’t worry if the mixture looks curdled!
5. Add the dry ingredients and beat until well combined. Start slowly and then increase the speed. Make sure to scrape down the sides and the bottom of the bowl in between with a spatula.
6. Pour the batter into the greased loaf pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 50-60 minutes until the crust is golden brown and the skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
7. Cool for 20 minutes in the pan and then turn out onto a rack to cool to room temperature before glazing.
To make the glaze:
1. Whisk all ingredients together until smooth and there are no lumps.
If you find your glaze is too thick, add a bit more liquid - 1 teaspoon at a time - until desired consistency is achieved. Alternatively, if your glaze is too runny, add more powdered sugar - 1 teaspoon at a time.
Once the cake is cooled, use a spoon to drizzle the glaze over top. Allow glaze to set for 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!